4. Discussion


Key findings

Our data showed whether the servo reacted correctly to the code such as if it is programmed to turn 135˚, it should be able to turn 135˚. Some of our results show that the angles are 1˚ higher or lower.In a summary, the servo has reacted properly by turning almost perfectly in all the angles it was tested.Such as when programmed 75˚, showing a result of 75˚ or sometimes when programmed 90˚, showing 89˚.

Explanation of key findings

The 1˚ higher or lower is noticed because of suspected alignment error as despite the code showing that the arm is at 90˚, there could be a slight momentary turn which could cause it to be 1˚ higher or lower.Also when we last tested for the voltage of the battery,it showed lesser voltage due to its usage which could also have been involved in this.Overall the the angles are almost perfect or perfect.As they are either at the same degree as programmed or 1˚ higher or lower.
Evaluation of engineering goals
It was impossible to use actual metal to make the exo arm, due to metal being impossible to attach to the servo using glue. We had first tried it but it did not work so this modified model made of corrugated plastic is lighter and better as the perpendicular moment does not change. So, after much discussion, we managed to make a prototype arm which shall serve the purpose of explaining our project and ideas.This prototyped can resist up to 6kg of force making it ideal for physiotherapy survivors and has a variety of degrees within the limit of 180˚.

Areas for improvement

More intricate planning to take place before the actual construction to consolidate ideas. Also we took a photograph of the arm at a particular degree and measured whether the arm was turning according to the code by using a protractor. Improvements could be made in the data collection tool to be even more precise. 

We could also have done a few number of test on the amount of weight the arm could take also. The current objective is to aid in or after physiotherapy but we could improve by making our exo arm’s lifting capability more which could have allowed us to aim our exo arm to help in augmented strength task or rescue missions. We could have used a new battery for the results as the current battery was used for a long time since the first testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment